Meaning of SET UP
| ||Definition:|| |
- [adj] well established and ready to function; "things I can do now that I'm set up"
- [v] make ready or suitable or equip in advance for a particular purpose or for some use, event, etc; "Get the children ready for school!"; "prepare for war"
- [v] get ready for a particular purpose or event; "set up an experiment"; "set the table"; "lay out the tools for the surgery"
- [v] equip with sails, masts, etc.; of ships
- [v] arrange thoughts, ideas, temporal events, etc.; "arrange my schedule"; "set up one's life"; "I put these memories with those of bygone times"
- [v] make by putting pieces together; "She pieced a quilt"; "He tacked together some verses"
- [v] construct, build, or erect; "Raise a barn"
- [v] begin, or enable someone else to begin, a venture by providing the means, logistics, etc.; "set up an election"
- [v] put into a proper or systematic order; "arrange the books on the shelves in chronological order"
- [v] erect and fasten; "pitch a tent"
- [v] set up for use; "install the washer and dryer"; "We put in a new sink"
- [v] place; "Her manager had set her up at the Ritz"
- [v] cause to happen or occur; "The scientists set up a shockwave"
- [v] set up or found; "She set up a literacy program"
- [v] arrange the outcome of by means of deceit; of elections
- [v] take or catch as if in a snare or trap; "I was set up!"; "The innocent man was framed by the police"
| ||Synonyms:|| ||arrange, arrange, assemble, bring about, constituted, effect, effectuate, ensnare, entrap, erect, establish, establish, established, found, frame, gear up, instal, install, launch, order, piece, pitch, prepare, put, put in, put together, put up, raise, ready, rear, rig, rig, set, tack, tack together|
| ||Antonyms:|| ||abolish, break apart, break up, disarrange, disassemble, dismantle, get rid of, level, pull down, rase, raze, take apart, take down, tear down|
| ||See Also:|| ||accomplish, alphabetise, alphabetize, alter, array, brace, bring together, build, bundle, camp, camp down, carry out, carry through, cascade, catenate, catenulate, cause, chain, change, cheat, chisel, come about, comfit, compact, compound, concord, confect, confection, configure, confuse, construct, contemporise, contemporize, coordinate, corral, cozen, cram, create, crop, cultivate, deceive, decorate, delude, devise, distribute, do, drape, draw, draw, dress, equip, erect, execute, fit, fit out, fix, fulfil, fulfill, geminate, get, get up, go on, gradate, hap, happen, hasten, heap, induce, join, jumble, lay, lay out, lay out, lead on, line up, machinate, make, marshal, mix up, mount, occur, open, open up, order, organise, organise, organize, organize, outfit, pack, pair, pass, pass off, pile, place, plume, poise, pose, position, post, precipitate, precondition, preen, prepare, prime, put, put up, pyramid, range, rear, rearrange, reassemble, regularise, regularize, reinstall, retrofit, rig up, rush, serialise, serialize, serve, set, set out, set up, settle, socialise, socialize, spread out, stack, stagger, stimulate, straighten, stratify, string, string out, summerise, summerize, synchronise, synchronize, take place, thread, tuck, wad, winterise, winterize, work|