Meaning of FEEDER
|Pronunciation: || ||'feedur|
| ||Definition:|| |
- [n] an animal being fattened or suitable for fattening
- [n] a machine that automatically provides a supply of some material (especially one that discharges feed into a trough for livestock)
- [n] a branch that flows into the main stream
- [n] someone who consumes food for nourishment
FEEDER is a 6 letter word that starts with F.
| ||Synonyms:|| ||affluent, eater, self-feeder, tributary|
| ||Antonyms:|| ||distributary|
| ||See Also:|| ||branch, consumer, devourer, diner, domestic animal, dunker, glutton, gobbler, gorger, gourmand, luncher, machine, mouth, mycophagist, nosher, omnivore, picknicker, picnicker, scoffer, snacker, trencherman, vegetarian|
|Webster's 1913 Dictionary|
| ||Definition:|| |
1. One who, or that which, gives food or supplies
A couple of friends, his chaplain and feeder.
2. One who furnishes incentives; an encourager. ``The feeder
of my riots.'' --Shak.
3. One who eats or feeds; specifically, an animal to be fed
With eager feeding, food doth choke the feeder.
4. One who fattens cattle for slaughter.
5. A stream that flows into another body of water; a
tributary; specifically (Hydraulic Engin.), a water course
which supplies a canal or reservoir by gravitation or
6. A branch railroad, stage line, or the like; a side line
which increases the business of the main line.
(a) A small lateral lode falling into the main lode or
mineral vein. --Ure.
(b) A strong discharge of gas from a fissure; a blower.
8. (Mach.) An auxiliary part of a machine which supplies or
leads along the material operated upon.
9. (Steam Engine) A device for supplying steam boilers with
water as needed.
| ||Related Terms:|| ||actor, actress, affluent, antagonist, antihero, bad guy, barnstormer, bayou, billabong, bit, bit part, board-and-roomer, boarder, bon vivant, branch, Brillat-Savarin, cable railway, cannibal, carnivore, cast, character, character actor, character man, character woman, child actor, cog railway, confluent, confluent stream, connoisseur of food, consumer, cue, dendritic drainage pattern, diner, diner-out, diseur, diseuse, dramatizer, eater, eater-out, effluent, el, electric railway, elevated, elevated railway, embankment, epicure, fat part, feeder line, flesh-eater, foil, fork, fruitarian, gastronome, glutton, gourmand, gourmet, grain-eater, graminivore, granivore, gravity-operated railway, heavy, herbivore, hero, heroine, high liver, histrio, histrion, horse railway, hungry mouth, ingenue, junction, juvenile, L, lactovegetarian, lead, lead role, leading lady, leading man, leading woman, light railroad, line, lines, Lucullus, luncher, main line, man-eater, matinee idol, meat-eater, metro, mime, mimer, mimic, monologist, monorail, mouth, mummer, omnivore, omophagist, pantomime, pantomimist, pantophagist, part, person, personage, phytophage, picnicker, piece, plant-eater, playactor, player, predacean, prong, protagonist, protean actor, rack railway, rack-and-pinion railway, rail, rail line, railroad, railway, reciter, roadbed, roadway, role, Roscius, side, sidetrack, siding, soubrette, stage performer, stage player, stooge, straight man, straight part, street railway, streetcar line, stroller, strolling player, subway, supporting character, supporting role, switchback, terminal, terminus, theatrical, thespian, title role, track, tram, tramline, trencherman, trestle, tributary, trolley line, trouper, trunk, trunk line, tube, turnout, underground, utility man, vegetarian, villain, walking part, walk-on|