Meaning of DESIGNATION
|Pronunciation: || ||`dezig'neyshun|
| ||Definition:|| |
- [n] the act of designating or identifying something
- [n] the act of putting a person into a non-elective position; "the appointment had to be approved by the whole committee"
- [n] identifying word or words by which someone or something is called and classified or distinguished from others
DESIGNATION is a 11 letter word that starts with D.
| ||Synonyms:|| ||appellation, appellative, appointment, assignment, denomination, identification, naming|
| ||See Also:|| ||cognomen, conclusion, co-optation, co-option, decision, delegacy, determination, diagnosing, diagnosis, finding, moniker, name, nickname, nomination, ordinance, ordination, sobriquet, soubriquet, title|
|Webster's 1913 Dictionary|
| ||Definition:|| |
\Des`ig*na"tion\, n. [L. designatio: cf. F.
1. The act of designating; a pointing out or showing;
2. Selection and appointment for a purpose; allotment;
3. That which designates; a distinguishing mark or name;
distinctive title; appellation.
The usual designation of the days of the week.
4. Use or application; import; intention; signification, as
of a word or phrase.
Finite and infinite seem . . . to be attributed
primarily, in their first designation, only to those
things have parts. --Locke.
| ||Related Terms:|| ||allocation, appellation, appellative, appointment, assignment, attribution, baptism, binomen, binomial name, blood, brand, breed, byword, calling, cast, character, characterization, christening, clan, classification, cognomen, color, cryptonym, definition, denomination, denotation, description, determination, differentiation, disclosure, empty title, epithet, eponym, euonym, expression, feather, fingering, fixing, form, genre, genus, grain, handle, hint, honorific, hyponym, identification, ilk, indication, indicativeness, kidney, kin, kind, label, line, lot, make, manifestation, manner, mark, meaning, mold, moniker, name, namesake, naming, nature, nicknaming, nomen, nomen nudum, nomination, number, ordainment, ordination, persuasion, phylum, picking out, pigeonhole, pigeonholing, pinning down, pointing, pointing out, pointing to, posting, precision, proper name, proper noun, proposal, race, recognition, scientific name, secret name, selection, shape, show, showing, signification, sort, species, specification, stamp, stipulation, strain, stripe, style, styling, suggestion, symptomaticness, tabbing, tag, tautonym, terming, the like of, the likes of, title, transferral, tribe, trinomen, trinomial name, type, variety|