Meaning of REPRESENTATION
|Pronunciation: || ||`repreezen'teyshun|
| ||Definition:|| |
- [n] an activity that stands as an equivalent of something or results in an equivalent
- [n] the act of representing; standing in for someone or some group and speaking with authority in their behalf
- [n] creation that is a visual or tangible rendering of someone or something
- [n] the right of being representated by delegates who have a voice in some legislative body
- [n] a presentation to the mind in the form of an idea or image
- [n] a statement of facts and reasons made in appealing or protesting; "certain representations were made concerning police brutality"
- [n] a performance of play
- [n] a factual statement made by one party in order to induce another party to enter into a contract; "the sales contract contains several representations by the vendor"
- [n] a body of legislators that serve in behalf of some constituency; "a Congressional vacancy occurred in the representation from California"
- [n] the state of serving as an official and authorized delegate or agent
REPRESENTATION is a 14 letter word that starts with R.
| ||Synonyms:|| ||agency, delegacy, histrionics, internal representation, mental representation, theatrical, theatrical performance|
| ||See Also:|| ||abstractionism, activity, adumbration, antitype, appearance, audiogram, blur, body, cognitive content, concrete representation, concretism, content, convergence, cooperation, copy, cosmography, creation, creche, cutaway, cutaway drawing, cutaway model, diagramming, display, document, dramatisation, dramatization, ecce homo, effigy, example, figuration, free agency, fuzz, icon, ikon, illustration, image, image, instantiation, interpretation, intersection, legal representation, map, matinee, memory, mental image, mental object, model, model, model, modeling, modelling, nomogram, nomograph, objectification, overlap, pageant, pageantry, percept, perception, perceptual experience, performance, phantasmagoria, pictorial representation, picture, picturing, pieta, presentation, projection, proportional representation, psychosexuality, public presentation, reading, right, rubbing, schema, schematisation, schematization, scheme, set, shade, simulacrum, simulation, stage set, state, statement, stations of the Cross, stereotype, typification, unrealism, version|
|Webster's 1913 Dictionary|
| ||Definition:|| |
\Rep`re*sen*ta"tion\ (-z?n-t?"sh?n), n. [F.
repr?sentation, L. representatio.]
1. The act of representing, in any sense of the verb.
2. That which represents. Specifically:
(a) A likeness, a picture, or a model; as, a
representation of the human face, or figure, and the
(b) A dramatic performance; as, a theatrical
representation; a representation of Hamlet.
(c) A description or statement; as, the representation of
an historian, of a witness, or an advocate.
(d) The body of those who act as representatives of a
community or society; as, the representation of a
State in Congress.
(e) (Insurance Law) Any collateral statement of fact, made
orally or in writing, by which an estimate of the risk
is affected, or either party is influenced.
3. The state of being represented.
Syn: Description; show; delineaton; portraiture; likeness;
resemblance; exhibition; sight.