Meaning of MAKE OUT
|Pronunciation: || ||meyk awt|
| ||Definition:|| |
- [v] imply or suggest; "Your remarks make me out to be stupid"
- [v] comprehend; "I cannot make out what this politician is saying"
- [v] try to establish; "She made out that she know nothing about the crime"
- [v] write all the required information onto a form; "fill out this questionnaire, please!"; "make out a form"
- [v] make out and issue; "write out a check"; "cut a ticket"; "Please make the check out to me"
- [v] kiss, embrace, or fondle with sexual passion; "The couple were necking in the back seat of the car"
- [v] have sexual intercourse with; "This student sleeps with everyone in her dorm"; "Adam knew Eve" (know is archaic); "Were you ever intimate with this man?"
- [v] detect with the senses; "The fleeing convicts were picked out of the darkness by the watchful prison guards"; "I can't make out the faces in this photograph"
- [v] come to terms or deal successfully with; "We got by on just a gallon of gas"; "They made do on half a loaf of bread every day"
- [v] proceed or get along; "How is she doing in her new job?"; "How are you making out in graduate school?"; "He's come a long way"
| ||Synonyms:|| ||come, complete, contend, cope, cut, deal, discern, distinguish, do, fare, fill in, fill out, get along, get by, grapple, issue, make do, manage, neck, pick out, recognise, recognize, tell apart, write out|
| ||See Also:|| ||act, check, claim, comprehend, cope with, copulate, couple, cut, discriminate, extemporize, fend, fornicate, get down, go, hack, have, improvise, intimate, match, mate, meet, move, pair, perceive, pet, proceed, put down, resolve, rub along, scrape along, scrape by, scratch along, set down, smooch, snog, spoon, squeak by, squeeze by, suggest, take, understand, write, write down|
| ||Related Terms:|| ||abide by, accept, adhere to, administer, afford proof of, answer, appreciate, apprehend, ascertain, ball, be acquainted with, be apprised of, be aware of, be cognizant of, be conscious of, be conversant with, be informed, be intimate, be so, be such, behold, bill and coo, book, bottom, bring home to, calendar, carry out, carry through, carve, catalog, catch, catch sight of, chalk, chalk up, check in, chronicle, cinch, clap eyes on, clear, clear the hurdle, clear up, clinch, cognize, cohabit, collect, come alive, come along, come on, come out, come through, come together, commit adultery, compass, complete, comprehend, conceive, conceptualize, conclude, contrive, cope, copulate, copy, copy out, couple, cover, crack, cut, cut the mustard, dally, debug, decipher, decode, deduce, deduct, demonstrate, derive, descry, detect, determine, diddle, dig, discern, discharge, discover, disentangle, distinguish, divine, do, do with, docket, dope, dope out, draft, draw, draw up, edit, effect, effectuate, eke out, enface, enforce, engineer, engrave, engross, enroll, enscroll, enter, espy, establish, execute, explain, fare, fathom, figure out, file, fill out, find out, find the answer, find the solution, fix, follow, follow from, fornicate, frig, fulfill, gather, get, get along, get along on, get by, get by on, get on, get right, glimpse, go along, go on, go on with, grasp, grave, guess, guess right, hack it, hang in, hang tough, have, have a case, have in sight, have information about, have it, have knowledge of, have sex, have sexual relations, hit it, hold good, hold water, honor, identify, impanel, implement, incise, index, infer, inscribe, insert, interpret, jot down, judge, keep afloat, keep at it, ken, know, know again, lay, lay eyes on, lie with, list, log, lollygag, look on, look upon, make, make a memorandum, make a note, make a recension, make an entry, make do, make ends meet, make good, make it, make it with, make love, make the grade, makeshift, manage, manage somehow, manage with, mark down, mate, matriculate, minute, mount, muddle through, nail, nail down, neck, negotiate, never say die, note, note down, notice, observe, open the lock, peg, pen, pencil, penetrate, perceive, persevere, persist, pet, pick out, pick up, pierce, place, place upon record, plumb, poll, possess, post, post up, prehend, promulgate, prosecute, prove, prove to be, prove true, psych, psych out, push the pen, put down, put in force, put in writing, put on paper, put on tape, put over, put through, puzzle out, ravel, ravel out, realize, recall knowledge of, recense, recognize, record, reduce to writing, register, reidentify, remove all doubt, render, resolve, revise, rewrite, riddle, savvy, scrape along, screw, scribe, scrive, scroll, see, see daylight, see into, see it through, see the light, see through, seize, sense, serve, service, set at rest, set down, settle, settle the matter, shape up, show, sight, sleep with, smooch, solve, sort out, spill ink, spoil paper, spoon, spot, spy, stack up, stick it out, stick to it, subsist, succeed in, superscribe, survive, sweet-talk, swing, swing the deal, tabulate, take down, take in, tape, tape-record, tell, thrive, toy, trace, transact, transcribe, trifle, turn out, twig, type, understand, undo, unlock, unravel, unriddle, unscramble, untangle, untwist, unweave, videotape, view, wanton, whisper sweet nothings, witness, work, work out, worry along, wot, wot of, write, write down, write in, write out, write up|