Meaning of DEFLECTION
|Pronunciation: || ||di'flekshun|
| ||Definition:|| |
- [n] a turning aside (of your course or attention or concern); "a diversion from the main highway"; "a digression into irrelevant details"; "a deflection from his goal"
- [n] the property of being bent or deflected
- [n] the movement of the pointer or pen of a measuring instrument from its zero position
- [n] the amount by which a propagating wave is bent
- [n] a twist or aberration; especially a perverse or abnormal way of judging or acting
DEFLECTION is a 10 letter word that starts with D.
| ||Synonyms:|| ||bending, deflexion, deflexion, deflexion, deviation, digression, divagation, diversion, refraction, warp|
| ||See Also:|| ||aberrance, aberrancy, aberration, bend, bending, deviance, motion, movement, physical property, red herring, refractiveness, refractivity, turn, turning, wind deflection, windage|
|Webster's 1913 Dictionary|
| ||Definition:|| |
\De*flec"tion\, n. [L. deflexio, fr. deflectere: cf.
1. The act of turning aside, or state of being turned aside;
a turning from a right line or proper course; a bending,
esp. downward; deviation.
The other leads to the same point, through certain
2. (Gunnery) The deviation of a shot or ball from its true
3. (Opt.) A deviation of the rays of light toward the surface
of an opaque body; inflection; diffraction.
4. (Engin.) The bending which a beam or girder undergoes from
its own weight or by reason of a load.
| ||Related Terms:|| ||aberration, angle, apex, atmospheric attenuation, bend, bending, bifurcation, bight, blind spots, bow, bowing, cant, chevron, circuitousness, clutter, coin, conflexure, corner, crank, crook, crosswiseness, crotchet, declination, defile, deflexure, deflower, departing, departure, deviance, deviation, deviousness, diagonality, diffraction, diffusion, digression, dispersion, distortion, divagation, divergence, diversion, dogleg, elbow, ell, excursion, false echoes, flection, flex, flexure, force, fork, furcation, geanticline, geosyncline, ground clutter, hairpin turn, hook, indirection, indirectness, inflection, knee, L, meander, nonconformity, nook, obliqueness, obliquity, outrage, oxbow, point, quoin, ravish, reflection, refraction, scatter, S-curve, sea clutter, skewness, spoil, squint, superrefraction, sweep, swerve, swerving, torsion, transverseness, turn, turning, twisting, vagary, veer, veering, vertex, violate, zag, zig, zigzag|