Meaning of ABSTEMIOUS
|Pronunciation: || ||ab'steemeeus|
| ||Definition:|| |
- [adj] sparing in consumption of especially food and drink; "the pleasures of the table, never of much consequence to one naturally abstemious"- John Galsworthy
- [adj] marked by temperance in indulgence; "abstemious meals"; "a light eater"; "a light smoker"; "ate a light supper"
ABSTEMIOUS is a 10 letter word that starts with A.
| ||Synonyms:|| ||abstentious, abstinent, ascetic, ascetical, austere, light(a), spartan, temperate|
| ||Antonyms:|| ||gluttonous|
| ||See Also:|| ||nonindulgent|
|Webster's 1913 Dictionary|
| ||Definition:|| |
\Ab*ste"mi*ous\, a. [L. abstemius; ab, abs + root of
temetum intoxicating drink.]
1. Abstaining from wine. [Orig. Latin sense.]
Under his special eye Abstemious I grew up and
thrived amain. --Milton.
2. Sparing in diet; refraining from a free use of food and
strong drinks; temperate; abstinent; sparing in the
indulgence of the appetite or passions.
Instances of longevity are chiefly among the
3. Sparingly used; used with temperance or moderation; as, an
abstemious diet. --Gibbon.
4. Marked by, or spent in, abstinence; as, an abstemious
life. ``One abstemious day.'' --Pope.
5. Promotive of abstemiousness. [R.]
Such is the virtue of the abstemious well. --Dryden.
| ||Related Terms:|| ||abstentious, abstinent, Apostolic, ascetic, austere, celibate, chaste, continent, dwarfed, dwarfish, Encratic, exiguous, frugal, fruitarian, impoverished, jejune, lean, Lenten, limited, meager, mean, miserly, narrow, nephalistic, niggardly, on the wagon, paltry, parsimonious, poor, puny, Pythagorean, Rechabite, scant, scanty, scrawny, scrimp, scrimpy, self-abnegating, self-denying, sexually abstinent, Shaker, skimp, skimpy, slender, slight, slim, small, sober, spar, spare, sparing, Spartan, starvation, stingy, stinted, Stoic, straitened, stunted, subsistence, sworn off, teetotal, temperate, thin, unnourishing, unnutritious, vegetarian, watered, watery|