Meaning of PUT ON
| ||Definition:|| |
- [n] a ludicrous or grotesque act done for fun and amusement
- [n] something intended to deceive; deliberate trickery intended to gain an advantage
- [n] a composition that imitates somebody's style in a humorous way
- [adj] adopted in order to deceive; "an assumed name"; "an assumed cheerfulness"; "a fictitious address"; "fictive sympathy"; "a pretended interest"; "a put-on childish voice"; "sham modesty"
- [v] increase (one's body weight)
- [v] put clothing on one's body; "What should I wear today?"; "He put on his best suit for the wedding"; "The princess donned a long blue dress"; "The queen assumed the stately robes"; "He got into his jeans"
- [v] add to something existing; "She put on a sun room"
- [v] add to the odometer; "He put on 1,000 miles on this trip"
- [v] fool or hoax; "The immigrant was duped because he trusted everyone"; "You can't fool me!"
- [v] apply to a surface; "She applied paint to the back of the house"; "Put on make-up!"
- [v] prepare and supply with the necessary equipment for execution or performance; "mount a theater production"; "mount an attack"; "mount a play"
- [v] carry out, as of performances: "They turned in a splendid effort"; "They turned in top jobs for the second straight game"
- [v] put on the stove or ready for cooking; "put on the tea, please!"
| ||Synonyms:|| ||antic, apply, assume, assumed, befool, burlesque, caper, charade, cod, counterfeit, don, dupe, dupery, false, fictitious, fictive, fool, fraud, fraudulence, gain, get into, gull, hoax, humbug, imitative, joke, lampoon, mockery, mount, parody, pasquinade, prank, pretended, put one across, put one over, sendup, sham, slang, spoof, take in, takeoff, travesty, trick, turn in, wear|
| ||Antonyms:|| ||lose weight, melt off, reduce, slenderize, slim, slim down, thin|
| ||See Also:|| ||add, betray, caricature, change state, chicanery, clap on, coldcream, cook, cover, cream, create, dab, daub, deceive, devise, dirty trick, diversion, dress, dress, fill out, fix, get dressed, get up, goldbrick, guile, hat, imitation, impersonation, kid, lead astray, machinate, make, organise, organize, pack on, Piltdown hoax, Piltdown man, practical joke, prepare, pull the leg of, putty, ready, recreation, rerun, round, scarf, shenanigan, slam on, slap on, slip on, sponge on, swab, swob, trickery, try, try on, turn, wile|