EARTHY: Dictionary Entry and Meaning
|Pronunciation: || ||'urthee|
|Matching Terms: || ||earth, earth almond, earth color, Earth flax, earth mother, earth science, Earth shine, earth tremor, earth up, earth wax, Earthbag, earthball, earth-ball, Earthbank, Earthboard, earthborn, earthbound, Earthbred, earth-closet, Earthdin, Earthdrake, Earthen, Earthen-hearted, Earthenware, earthenware jar, Earthfork, earth-god, earth-goddess, Earthiness, earthing, Earthlight, earthlike, Earthliness, Earthling, earthly, earthly concern, Earthly-minded, Earthmad, earthman, Earthnut, earthnut pea, earth-nut pea, Earthpea, Earthquake, Earthquave, Earth-received time, Earth's crust, Earth's surface, earthshaking, Earthshock, Earthstar, earthtongue, Earth-tongue, Earthward, Earthwork, Earthworm|
| ||Definition:|| |
- [adj] conspicuously and tastelessly indecent; "coarse language"; "a crude joke"; "crude behavior"; "an earthy sense of humor"; "a revoltingly gross expletive"; "a vulgar gesture"; "full of language so vulgar it should have been edited"
- [adj] hearty and lusty; "an earthy enjoyment of life"
- [adj] not far removed from or suggestive of nature; "the earthy taste of warm milk fresh from the cow"; "earthy smells of new-mown grass"
- [adj] sensible and practical; "has a straightforward down-to-earth approach to a problem"; "her earthy common sense"
| ||Synonyms:|| ||coarse, crude, down-to-earth, gross, indecent, natural, realistic, uninhibited, vulgar|
|Webster's 1913 Dictionary|
| ||Definition:|| |
1. Consisting of, or resembling, earth; terrene; earthlike;
as, earthy matter.
How pale she looks, And of an earthy cold! --Shak.
All over earthy, like a piece of earth. --Tennyson.
2. Of or pertaining to the earth or to, this world; earthly;
terrestrial; carnal. [R.] ``Their earthy charge.''
The first man is of the earth, earthy; the second
man is from heaven. As is the earthy, such are they
also that are earthy. --1 Cor. xv.
47, 48 (Rev.
Earthy spirits black and envious are. --Dryden.
3. Gross; low; unrefined. ``Her earthy and abhorred
4. (Min.) Without luster, or dull and roughish to the touch;
as, an earthy fracture.
| ||Related Terms:|| ||abandoned, Adamic, Adamite, Adamitic, adobe, animal, animalistic, anthropocentric, anthropological, banausic, bawdy, beastlike, beastly, bestial, bodily, broad, brutal, brute, brutish, carnal, carnal-minded, Circean, clayey, clayish, coarse, crass, crude, dirty, down-to-earth, dusty, earthly, fallen, finite, fleshly, frail, frank, gaudy, gross, gumbo, gutter, hard-boiled, hardheaded, hominal, homocentric, human, humanistic, indecent, lapsed, loamy, loud, low, lusty, man-centered, marly, material, materialistic, matter-of-fact, meretricious, mortal, muddy, mundane, nonspiritual, obscene, only human, orgiastic, Philistine, physical, positivistic, postlapsarian, practical, practical-minded, pragmatic, profane, rank, rational, raw, realist, realistic, reasonable, ribald, rough, rude, sandy, sane, scientific, scientistic, secular, sensible, sensual, shameless, sober-minded, soily, sound, sound-thinking, straight-thinking, swinish, tellurian, telluric, temporal, terrene, terrestrial, unangelic, uncouth, unideal, unidealistic, uninhibited, unrefined, unromantic, unsentimental, unspiritual, vulgar, wanton, weak, worldly|