Meaning of AUDACIOUS
|Pronunciation: || ||o'deyshus|
| ||Definition:|| |
- [adj] disposed to venture or take risks; "audacious visions of the total conquest of space"; "an audacious interpretation of two Jacobean dramas"; "the most daring of contemporary fiction writers"; "a venturesome investor"; "a venturous spirit"
- [adj] unrestrained by convention or propriety; "an audacious trick to pull"; "a barefaced hypocrite"; "the most bodacious display of tourism this side of Anaheim"- Los Angeles Times; "bold-faced lies"; "brazen arrogance"; "the modern world with its quick material successes and insolent belief in the boundless possibilities of progress"- Bertrand Russell
- [adj] invulnerable to fear or intimidation; "audacious explorers"; "fearless reporters and photographers"; "intrepid pioneers"
AUDACIOUS is a 9 letter word that starts with A.
| ||Synonyms:|| ||adventuresome, adventurous, barefaced, bodacious, bold, bold-faced, brassy, brave, brazen, brazen-faced, daring, dauntless, fearless, insolent, intrepid, unashamed, unfearing, venturesome, venturous|
|Webster's 1913 Dictionary|
| ||Definition:|| |
\Au*da"cious\, a. [F. audacieux, as if fr. LL.
audaciosus (not found), fr. L. audacia audacity, fr. audax,
-acis, bold, fr. audere to dare.]
1. Daring; spirited; adventurous.
As in a cloudy chair, ascending rides Audacious.
2. Contemning the restraints of law, religion, or decorum;
bold in wickedness; presumptuous; impudent; insolent. ``
Audacious traitor.'' --Shak. `` Such audacious
3. Committed with, or proceedings from, daring effrontery or
contempt of law, morality, or decorum. ``Audacious
cruelty.'' ``Audacious prate.'' --Shak.
| ||Related Terms:|| ||adventuresome, adventurous, arrogant, bold, brash, brassy, brave, brazen, bumptious, careless, challenging, cheeky, cocky, cold, confident, contemptuous, contumelious, cool, courageous, daredevil, daring, dauntless, death-defying, defiant, defying, derisive, devil-may-care, disdainful, disregardful, disrespectful, doughty, easy, emancipated, enterprising, familiar, fearless, fire-eating, foolhardy, forward, free, greatly daring, harebrained, heedless, hubristic, impertinent, impudent, independent, insolent, insulting, intrepid, madbrain, madbrained, madcap, mettlesome, obtrusive, overbold, overpresumptuous, overweening, pert, presuming, presumptuous, procacious, pushy, rash, reckless, regardless of consequences, relaxed, rude, saucy, self-absorbed, self-centered, selfish, shameless, temerarious, thoughtless, unabashed, unafraid, uncurbed, undaunted, ungoverned, unhampered, uninhibited, unrestrained, untrammeled, uppish, uppity, valiant, valorous, venturesome, venturous, wild, wild-ass|